|Haiti is in the West Indies and occupies the western third of the island of Hispaniola. It shares this island with the Dominican Republic. Haiti is two-thirds mountainous. The rest of the country is marked by great valleys, small plains and plateaus.|
|Currency:||Haitian Gourde (HTG)|
|Language:||French and Creole. English is spoken in tourist areas.|
|Dialling code from SA:||+ 509|
|Time Zones:||UTC / GMT -5 (7 hours behind South Africa)|
|Daylight Savings Time:||From second Sunday in March until first Sunday in November: UTC / GMT -4 (6 hours behind South Africa)|
|Public Holidays 2021:||
Jan 1, 2; Feb 16; Apr 4; May 1, 18, 30; Oct 17; Nov 18; Dec 25
|Side of the Road:||Right.|
|Best Time to go:||November - February|
|Best For:||Island relaxation|
|Plugs:||110 volts AC, 60Hz.|
|Drinking Water:||All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Milk is unpasteurised.|
|Customs:||Beachwear should be reserved for the beach/poolside. In rural areas, women should cover their legs and shoulders.|
|Travel Tips / Warnings:||Credit cards are widely accepted, but ATM’s are unreliable. Check the local political situation before finalising travel plans. Tourists are usually advised not to travel outside the resort area of Labadee without a guide.|
|Duty Free:||The following goods can be imported into Haiti without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 1kg of tobacco
• 1L of spirits
• Small quantity of perfume or eau de toilette for personal use
• New goods with a total value not exceeding HTG2,500 (once a year only)
|Prohibited Imports:||Firearms (except sporting guns, which require a permit)|
COVID-19 Travel Advisory:Flights have resumed.
- Effective February 9, 2021, travellers will require negative COVID tests. These tests must have been taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding.
- You may be required to self isolate for 14 days in your own accommodation.
This Information is intended as a Guideline.
- Visas are not required by South African passport holders for a stay of up to 3 months.
- Passport is to be valid for a minimum of 6 months .
SA High Commission in Kingston, Jamaica.
|Recommended Travel Vaccines:||Hepatitis A & B, Rabies, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio|