Belize presents unlimited opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast and has much in common with the Caribbean island states.
Descend into the depths of the Blue Hole, the startlingly vivid blue sinkhole which measures 300m across and is over 120m deep. It is considered one of the best dive sites in the world and the surrounds are a popular swimming spot.
Windsurf or kite surf off Caye Caulker. The water is so clear beneath; it may be possible to spot fish, stingrays and even dolphins. The best wind conditions usually occur from February to June.
Hike along the Macal River in Cayo district to the Hidden Valley Falls, one of the largest waterfalls in Central America, and see hundreds of different bird species and mammals along the way.
|Currency:||Belize Dollar (BZD). USD also widely accepted.|
|Language:||English. Spanish and Creole are widely spoken.|
|Dialling code from SA:||+501|
|Time Zones:||UTC / GMT – 6 (8 hours behind South Africa)|
|Public Holidays 2021:||
Jan 1; Mar 8; Apr 2, 3, 5; May 1, 24; Sep 10, 21; Oct 11; Nov 19; Dec 25, 26, 28
|Side of the Road:||Right|
|Best Time to Go:||late November to mid-April|
|Best for:||Scuba Diving, Archaeological Ruins, National Parks|
|Plugs:||110 volts AC, 60Hz. American-style two-pin plugs are standard|
|Drinking Water:||All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Bottled water is available in main towns, but in rural areas, water purification tablets should be used. Milk is unpasteurised.|
Medical facilities are very limited. It is advisable to carry basic medical supplies. Comprehensive health insurance is recommended and it should include emergency air evacuation coverage. If you require any medication on your travels it is best to bring it with you, in the original packaging, with a signed and dated letter from your doctor detailing exactly what it is and why you need it. Doctors will require cash payment regardless of whether you have health insurance.
|Customs:||Beachwear should be reserved for the beach/ poolside. Locals are very laidback with regards to time and punctuality.|
|Local Offences / Laws:||Homosexuality is illegal.|
|Travel Tips / Warnings:||Exchange local currency back before leaving the country.|
|Duty Free:||The following goods may be imported into Belize by travellers aged 18 and over without incurring customs duty:
• 1L of wine or spirits (combined amount).
• 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
• Personal items, gifts or souvenirs up to a value of BZ$200 if entering via the international airport or BZ$50 if entering via other ports of entry.
|Prohibited Imports:||You must declare live animals, meat, fruit, vegetables, weapons or ammunition, which all require permits.|
|Prohibited Exports:||Pre-Columbian articles, marine products, unprocessed coral or turtle shells.|
- Passengers travelling from or having transited through Bangladesh or India are not permitted to enter Belize.
- Passengers are advised to obtain travel insurance prior to arrival in Belize.
Test and quarantine requirements
- Passengers aged 5 years and older are advised to hold either a negative RT-PCR test result obtained no more than 96 hours prior to arrival or a Rapid Antigen, Sophia, SD Bisensor, Abbot (Panbio) test result obtained within 48 hours prior to arrival.
- Passengers not holding a negative PCR, Rapid Antigen, Sophia, SD Bisensor or Abbot (Panbio) test will be subject to a test on arrival at their own expense of $50 (USD). Passengers who test positive must quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.
This Information is intended as a Guideline.
Belize High Commission
Third Floor, 45 Crawford Place, London W1H 4LP
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7723 3603
Office Hours: 10:00am – 6:00pm Monday to Thursday; 10:00am – 4:30pm on Fridays
Note: Consular Appointments must be made and confirmed before arriving at the High Commission. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Appointments are scheduled from Monday through Thursday only. “Emergency” cases will only be considered in specific cases.
Non-resident accredited from Kingston, Jamaica.
|Compulsory:||Yellow Fever (Dependant on Country of Origin/Stopover)|
|Recommended Travel Vaccines:||Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio|