Congo, Republic of
|The Republic of Congo is made up of a rich landscape of falls, swamps and rapids, with the northern country distinguished by huge tracts of virgin forest and an abundance of wildlife. The forest is also home to several indigenous tribes who have maintained their traditional way of life. The narrow sandy coastal plain is broken by lagoons, behind which rise the Mayombe Mountains. The capital, Brazzaville, has a host of fascinating sights to see and places to explore, and local musicians enliven the atmosphere at night.
Sights include the beautiful Basilique Sainte Anne, the colourful suburb of Poto Poto, the Temple Mosque, the markets at Oluendze and Moungali, the National Museum, the Municipal Gardens Some good fishing is available at Lac Bleu.
Visit the Valley of Butterflies. Venture onto the Congo Rapids. Waterskiing on the Congo and Kouillou rivers is a popular sporting activity in peacetime.Find a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside at the Loufoulakari Falls (held to be the most impressive falls in the region) and the Trou de Dieu.
|Currency:||Central African CFA Franc (XAF)|
|Language:||French. Some local languages are also spoken: Lingala, Munukutuba and Kikongo. English is not widely spoken.|
|Dialling code from SA:||+ 242|
|Time Zones:||UTC / GMT +1 (1 hour behind South Africa)|
|Public Holidays 2021:||
Jan 1; Apr 5; May 1, 13, 24; Jun 10; Aug 15; Nov 1, 28; Dec 25
|Side of the Road:||Right|
|Best Time to Go:||June - September|
|Best for:||Rare Wildlife|
|Plugs:||230 volts AC, 50Hz. Plugs with two round pins are used|
|Drinking Water:||All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Milk is unpasteurised.|
|Health:||Medical facilities are very limited. It is advisable to carry basic medical supplies. Comprehensive health insurance is recommended and it should include emergency air evacuation coverage.|
|Customs:||Dress should be on the conservative side and mini-skirts and shorts should not be worn in public. Respect to religious customs should also be shown during the month of Ramadan.|
|Local Offences / Laws:||It is forbidden to photograph government buildings, military installations and banks.|
|Travel Tips / Warnings:||There are limited ATM’s that accept foreign cards, and it is primarily a cash economy. A few hotels accept credit card, but there is limited use in Congo. Check the local political situation before finalising travel plans.|
|Duty Free:||The following items may be imported into Congo by visitors over 18 years of age without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 1 box of cigars or tobacco (women are permitted to import cigarettes only).
• 1 bottle of spirits and 1 bottle of wine.
• A reasonable quantity of perfume in opened bottles. If importing expensive items such as watches and cameras, it is advisable to present the receipt.
COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Limited international flights. Passengersshould provide proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test taken within 72 hours of entry.
This Information is intended as a Guideline.
Embassy of Republic of Congo
960 Arcadia Street, Arcadia
PO Box 40427 Arcadia, Pretoria 0007
Tel:+21 (0)12 3425507
Fax:+21 (0)12 342-5510
Submissions: Mon-Fri 0900-1200
Collections: Mon-Fri 1400-1530
Visas are required by SA and British passport holders.
- All applicants must appear in person to apply for a visa.
- All applications must be submitted online first- (www.embassyofcongo.co.za). Once you have registered, you will receive confirmation by email, with your pdf application attached. The email will confirm that you have filled in the application form and submitted the form online. You need to print this form and submit it together with the other required documentation.
- Valid passport (minimum of 3 months) (Ensure there are 2 blank pages to affix visa)
- Two 50mm x 50mm passport colour photographs
- A copy of airline tickets or itinerary
- An invitation letter or Hotel reservation. A type written invitation letter legalized by by the D.G.S.T, stating the nature of your trip, the names and the address of references to be visited in the Republic of Congo. The Legalised invitation must be forwarded to the Embassy of the Republic of Congo: Visa section.
- 3 Months bank statements
- A business letter : (For Business visa) - A typewritten letter on company letterhead stating the nature of business to be performed, the names and the address of a reference to be contacted in the Republic of Congo. The Legalised invitation must be forwarded to the Embassy of the Republic of Congo: Visa section.
- All applicants must submit an International vaccination certificate
In order to apply for a visa from South Africa you must either be a citizen of South Africa or legally reside here. If you want someone to act on your behalf in connection with your application, you must authorise this person to do so.
Visa Processing Time
Please note that you pay the fee when submitting the application in person at the Embassy.
Short stay visitor visa - R1000
SA Embassy, 82 Avenue Marachal Lyautey,
Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
Tel: +242 81 0849 / +242 660 0211
Fax: +27 (0) 866 762 553 / +27 (0) 865 722 926
|Recommended Travel Vaccines:||Hepatitis A & B, Meningitis, Rabies, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio|