Democratic Republic of Congo DRC
|Congo (Dem Rep) has many beautiful landscapes, with lakes and forests, waterfalls and wildlife. However, this is a vast country, with an almost non-existent transport infrastructure. It is mired in conflict and a long and intricate history.
Kinshasa, the capital, does not have many sights of historic interest, but visitors should not miss the prehistoric and ethnological museums at Kinshasa University. A brightly coloured chapel crowns the top of the hill.
Nearby is a corner of the equatorial forest surrounding a beautiful lake called Ma Vallée with a tavern on its banks. Other attractions include the fishing port of Kinkole, the Gardens of the Presidential Farm of Nsele made of pagodas, and the extensive pools where angling and swimming may be enjoyed. In both the markets and the suburbs of Kinshasa, there are craftspeople who produce wood and metal items. The National Museum includes some unique pieces of national art.
|Currency:||Franc Congolais (CDF)|
|Language:||French. Many local languages are also spoken including Lingala, Swahili, Tshiluba and Kikongo.|
|Dialling code from SA:||+ 243|
|Time Zones:||Kinshasa / West: UCT / GMT +1 (1 hour behind South Africa). Rest of the country: UTC / GMT +2 (same time as South Africa)|
|Public Holidays 2021:||
Jan 1, 4, 16, 17; May 1, 17; Jun 30, 31; Jul 31; Aug 1; Dec 25
|Side of the Road:||Right (International Driving Permit required)|
|Plugs:||220 volts AC, 50Hz. Plugs with two round pins are used.|
|Drinking Water:||All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Milk is unpasteurised.|
|Health:||Medical facilities are very limited. It is advisable to carry basic medical supplies. Comprehensive health insurance is recommended and it should include emergency air evacuation coverage. Doctors will require cash payment regardless of whether you have health insurance.|
|Customs:||Swimwear should be reserved for the beach / poolside.|
|Local Offences / Laws:||A permit is required for photography, but photographs of military installations and government buildings should be avoided. At 6am and 6pm the national flag is raised and lowered, and all traffic and pedestrians are expected to stop for this ceremony, as well as for any official motorcade.|
|Travel Tips / Warnings:||Credit cards have limited use. Check the local political situation before finalising travel plans.|
|Duty Free:||The following items may be imported into Congo (Dem Rep) by persons over 18 years of age without incurring customs duty:
• 100 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 227g of tobacco.
• 1 bottle of alcoholic beverage.
• A reasonable amount of perfume for personal use.
• Cameras if temporarily imported by tourists. Radios, audio equipment and gifts are subject to duty
|Prohibited Imports:||An import licence is required for arms and ammunition.|
COVID-19 Travel Advisory: International borders and airports are open. A negative PCR Test taken within 7 days of arrival is required, and you may be subject to quarantine on arrival.
This Information is intended as a Guideline.
Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Congo
791 Schoeman Str., Arcadia 0083 Pretoria
P O Box 28795 Sunnyside 0132 Pretoria
Tel:+27 (0) 12 343 2455 / 344 6474
Fax:+27 (0)12 343 2633
Submissions: Mon-Fri 0900-1230
Collections: the following day 1330 - 1430
Visas are required by SA, British and all other passport holders.
1. Passport (valid at least 6 months) with 4 blank pages to insert a visa
2. 1 application form (completed ACCURATELY)
3. 2 recent passport size photos
4. The appropriate, non-refundable fee deposited into the DRC Embassy bank account
5. Reasons for visiting the DRC
- If transit, an airticket is to be produced
• a NOTARIZED letter of invitation from the host in DRC and • a letter from the applicant`s employer with details of your business contact
• a letter of invitation from the host in DRC with full address/or confirmed hotel booking.
• details of your intended tour itinerary.
• For visit: A NOTARIZED letter of invitation from the host in DRC with full address/or confirmed hotel booking.
- A letter from the applicants employer confirming that he/she will return to employment after returning from the DRC.
ORIGINAL DEPOSIT SLIP TO BE SUBMITTED WITH REQUIREMENT DOCUMENTS
• The Yellow fever Vaccination is required for all travellers over 9 months of age.
Visa Processing Time
24 working hours/No emergency cases.
MULTIPLE ENTRY 30 DAYS R1500.00 / 45 DAYS R1875.00 / 60 DAYS R2250.00 / 90 DAYS R2625.00 / 180 DAYS R5250.00
TRANSIT VISAS SINGLE ENTRY R350.00 / DOUBLE ENTRIES R500.00
• No cash payments
• ALL Payments deposited into:
Account number: 011276886
Branch Code: 010845
Branch : Arcadia
HOLDER: Embassy of DRC
Cheque payments will wait seven working days for clearance before service being provided by the Embassy.
77 Avenue Ngongo Lutete, Gombe, Kinshasa
Tel: +243 81 5566600
|Recommended Travel Vaccines:||Hepatitis A & B, Meningitis, Rabies, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio|