|Bisected by the equator, one part lying in the southern hemisphere and the other in the northern, Ecuador is a land divided into three distinct geological regions - Sierra, Oriente and Costa. These regions seem like three different planets squeezed into one tiny country. In addition, Ecuador controls the Galapagos Islands, which is even more like a distant universe. Cotopaxi - the world's highest active volcano - is one of the best mountains to start your climbing career. The climb doesn't require previous experience, but you need to be very fit and accustomed to high altitude. One of the world's most enticing destinations, the remote Pacific islands are full of unique creatures that you can't find anywhere else in the world. The ultimate experience is swimming with the giant Galapagos tortoises.|
|Currency:||US Dollar (USD)|
|Language:||Spanish. Quichua (Kichwa) is widely spoken. Some English may be spoken.|
|Dialling code from SA:||+ 593|
|Time Zones:||UTC / GMT -5 (7 hours behind South Africa).
In Galapagos: UTC / GMT -6 (8 hours behind South Africa)
|Public Holidays 2021:||
Jan 1; Feb 15, 16; Apr 2, 30; May 1, 24; Aug 9; Oct 8, 9; Nov 1, 2; Dec 24, 25, 31
|Side of the Road:||Right.|
|Best time to go:||Year-round, depends largely on region. Andes is cold and damp year round, but the dry season (winter) is the best time to visit (June – September). For jungle treks, August – November is the dry season and the best time to travel. The Galapagos is best during the rainy season (December – May). February - April and September - November are off season in Ecuador and the rates will be lower.|
|Best for:||Galapagos, Ecotourism|
|Plugs:||120 volts AC, 60Hz. Plugs used are American-style (two perpendicular flat blades with or without a circular grounding pin).|
|Drinking Water:||All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Milk is unpasteurised.|
|Health:||There are adequate and well-equipped medical facilities, however visitors are required to pay for these services. Outside of the main cities and on the Galapagos Islands, medical facilities are more limited and emergency repatriation may be required. Comprehensive health insurance is recommended and it should include emergency air evacuation coverage. Preventative measures against mosquito bites should be taken.|
|Customs:||Normal social courtesies. Dress is casual, but should be conservative. Ask permission before taking photographs of people.
|Local Offences /Laws:||Identification should be carried at all times.|
|Travel Tips / Warnings:||Check the local political situation before travelling – there have been some disruptions due to political protests. Travel to the areas surrounding the Colombian border should be avoided. There are active volcanos – check before travelling to these areas as there have been recent eruptions. On the Galapagos Islands, only Mastercard is accepted.
|Duty Free:||The following goods may be imported into Ecuador without incurring customs duty:
• 400 cigarettes and 25 cigars and 500g of tobacco
• 3L of alcohol
• 300ml of perfume or 600ml per family
• Gifts and personal effects up to US$500
|Prohibited Imports:||Prior permission is required for the import of fresh or dry meat, uncanned meat products and all plants and vegetables.|
|Prohibited Exports:||Gold bars, antiques, narcotics, and wild animals and their parts.|
COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Open for International Travel. Travellers are required to present a negative PCR test taken 10 days prior to arrival.
If going to Galapagos, negative PCR Test must be taken 4 days prior to arrival, as well as a certificate of safe passage obtained 24 hours prior to arrival (issued by tour operators, hotel or travel agency).
This Information is intended as a Guideline.
Embassy of the Republic of Ecuador
Second Floor, South Block
Brookfield Office Park
272 Bronkhorst Street,
Brooklyn, Pretoria, 0181
Tel: (012) 346 1662
Hours: Mon-Fri 0900 -1600
South African passport holders do not require a tourist visa to visit Ecuador for a period of up to 90 days. However, it is required that your passport be valid for at least 6 months from the date of travel to Ecuador. Additionally, we do not require any specific vaccinations prior to entering the country. While there is no entry fee upon your arrival to Ecuador, we do require all passengers pay an Airport Tax of about USD40 on departure.
- If travelling on Business, Study purposes, etc. please enquire via email the requirements and procedures to follow.
- In order to ensure the best attention and confidentiality of the applicant’s personal data, all information with regard to applications for a Tourist Visa to Ecuador MUST be requested ONLY by email to firstname.lastname@example.org - for those who require a visa.
- The Consular Section of the Embassy of Ecuador will also respond to enquiries and communicate the decisions about application for Visas ONLY by email.
- Applicants outside South Africa or far from Pretoria will need to SEND ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION TO THIS EMBASSY VIA PREPAID POST or PREPAID COURIER SERVICE. NO documentation will be returned to sender if not sent via PREPAID post and/or PREPAID courier service.
- The Embassy of Ecuador and its Consular Section will not be held responsible for any loss/damage/delay of ANY original documentation sent/received.
- The Embassy of Ecuador and its Consular Section will not comment on any decision declining a Visa application.
- All Visa applications MUST be requested by the applicant himself or herself. Only minors under 18 years-old can be represented by their parents or legal guardians.
Representative accredited from Lima, Peru.
|Recommended Travel Vaccines:||Hepatitis A & B, Rabies, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio|