Department of Home Affairs (DHA)
The Department of Home Affairs offers a multitude of services to the citizens of South Africa, as well as foreigners who wish to visit, work or stay in South Africa.
- Forms will no longer be available from the Dept of Home Affairs website. Please visit your nearest Home Affairs office to obtain ORIGINAL APPLICATION FORMS & necessary information.
OFFICE HOURS: Offices open to the public as follows:
Monday to Friday: 8:00 to 15:30 | Saturday: 8:30 to 12:30 (closed until further notice) | Every last Wednesday of the month: 9:00 to 15:30
To apply for the passport, you must submit the following documents:
- A duly completed passport application Form DHA-73
- Your original identity document and a copy, or a birth certificate and copy thereof if under 16
- If under 18 years, parental consent for issuing of the passport. Please see Tourist passports: persons under 16 for the requirements
- A completed determination of citizenship Form DHA-529 when applying from abroad
- Present any existing valid tourist passport or if you have lost your passport or it has been stolen and you are applying for a new passport, you must provide a loss of passport report (DHA-335 ) and confirmation that you reported the loss to the police
- Two colour photographs that comply with the Passport and ID Photograph Specifications (NOT needed at smartcard offices as ID images are captured digitally)
- Pay the prescribed fee for the passport
The Department of Home Affairs is proud to present eHomeAffairs to enable you as a South African born citizen to apply your Smart ID Card and/or passport online.
- Submit applications online
- Upload supporting documents
- Make online payments
- And schedule a booking to visit a Home Affairs enabled Bank offices
Note: A branch visit is mandatory for the capture and verification of your biometric detail (photos, fingerprints and signature). No appointment/booking is required to visit any Home Affairs office.